With the number of seniors living with Alzheimer’s in America increasing, there is also an increasing need for caregiving. Whether formal or informal, taking care of another individual with deteriorating cognitive abilities can take a toll on the caregiver. For most adult children, their parent’s needs will fall on them, and the weight of caregiving can become heavy in the years to come. Fortunately, Woodland Ridge offers services at your disposal to help bare the weight.
What is Respite Care?
Respite care is a type of temporary care that offers a senior short-term stay in the Woodland Ridge community. Respite care acts as adult day-care for when the need arises. This type of short-term care in Smyrna, Georgia will provide a stress-free break for informal family caregivers. It also provides an opportunity for your loved one to participate in activities and socialize with like-minded seniors. This is a great place if your loved one has recently gotten out of the hospital and needs extra attention. As seen on seniorliving.com, respite care at Woodland Ridge can also be for a minimal amount of care. An example of this is when your loved one needs slight assistance for a limited amount of time. So, what does respite care mean?
- R is for Renewal. The renewal of your personal health and mood. If you overexert yourself caring for a loved one, you increase your chances of caregiver burnout, which can lead to physical illness. Give your body and mind the chance to renew itself.
- E is for Exact. Respite care allows your loved one to get exactly what they need from a professionally trained caregiver. Whether that is the exact amount of engagement, brain activity, or medication doses, the respite care staff are trained and may know other options of care an informal caregiver can overlook.
- S is for Space. When you spend a big chunk of your time taking care of another individual, it can wear you thin and spark negative emotions towards that person. A great way for keeping your emotions healthy is just getting a little space from each other, which is possible with respite care.
- P is for Peace. When you are responsible for caring for a family member, it can make you worry about their well-being at all times. This extra stress can be very harmful to your body. With respite care, you can find peace knowing your loved one is in good hands for the time being.
- I is for Interaction. Having your loved one stay in respite care provides a time for them to interact with other seniors experiencing similar situations. They also can interact with whatever activities that are provided during their respite care stay, sometimes it is painting or charades.
- T is for Time. There are only so many hours in the day to get everything you need to done. When you dedicate a large portion of your time towards caring for the senior in your life, it takes away from other tasks. Get some time back with respite care – time to go grocery shopping or just take a nap.
- E is for Energizing. A well-deserved break from informal caregiving can allow one to rejuvenate and re-energize your mind, body, and soul.
Why Pay for Respite Care?
If you live in Smyrna, Georgia and short-term care is an option for your loved one, it can be very beneficial to utilize it. The benefits of paying for this service include avoiding caregiver burnout, allowing the informal caregiver to focus on other pressing matters, such as paying bills and also just getting a well-deserved break now and then. You should also consider paying for this service for your loved one’s needs. As mentioned earlier, it provides a social and interactive atmosphere for your loved one. It can also allow your loved one a chance to get an alternative form of care that you are unaware or incapable of performing.
Woodland Ridge is happy to offer this short-term service in Smyrna, Georgia. Please consider utilizing it not; just for your loved one’s well-being, but also for yours. If you still have any questions or concerns, please contact us today!